Membership is open to young musicians from the region under 21 years of age, subject to audition.You need to be of a minimum grade 6 standard. The auditions can be competitive as unfortunately there are only a limited number of places to fill in an orchestra.
- Your audition should last about 15 minutes.
- You are invited to play a piece of your own choice, demonstrating your current technical and musical standard. It should not last more than 5 minutes. Two short excerpts in contrasting styles will be acceptable.
- A piece of music, as a PDF file will be emailed out to you approximately 7 to 14 days before the audition for you to prepare.
- You will be asked to sight-read a short passage.
- Part of the audition will be an informal interview by the panel.
- No application can be accepted without an instrumental teacher's recommendation and, in the case of thos under 18, a parental endorsement.
- Applications from pre-higher education candidates will be expected to attend on a weekly basis, orchestras that perform at a high technical level and sustain this commitment even when a member of the CSYO.
- A commitment to attend ALL three courses throughout each season will be required from those accepted.
- Fees for courses are payable in advance and may be paid in installments. The Friends of CSYO subsidise all orchestral members on courses, with extra financial help for students of 18+ living away from home and for siblings, however in cases of financial hardship; bursaries to help with these costs can be awarded.
- The winter course held between Christmas and New Year usually costs around £100
- The spring course held during the Easter holidays is uasually residential and costs around £250
- The summer courses and tours are held towards the end of July early August and cost between £290 (when held in this country) and £600 when touring abroad. These figures are for guidance only.
Further information is available from Gill Little firstname.lastname@example.org
Auditions for 2012-13 have now taken place, however application forms are accepted throughout the year. The opportuntiy to audition may be given should there be a relevant vacancy.